The Field Museum commissioned talented sculptor Malvina Hoffman to create bronze sculptures for an exhibition called The Races of Mankind. A gifted artist who studied under Rodin—and a woman in a male-driven art world—Hoffman traveled the globe in order to sculpt many of her subjects from life. The resulting sculptures were intended to portray “racial types,” as the theory of the day categorized them. The Hall of Man opened on 6 June 1933 at the time of the opening of the Century of Progress Exposition. and closed in 1968 to make room for the 75th Anniversary Exhibit. Until recently when a new exhibit opened, fewer than 20 sculptures remained on display, with the majority in storage in the Anthropology collections.
© The Field Museum, CSGN77466. January 1930.
© The Field Museum, GN79365.